Sunday, July 24, 2005


-It’s either time running too fast or to slow for me. Never both simultaneously.
-It’s such a strange paradox. I mean, technically, I’m closer to the end of my life that I’ve ever been, I actually feel more than ever that I have all the time in the world. When I was younger, there was a desperation, a need for certainty. I had to get to the end of the path.
-I know what you mean. I remember thinking: someday, in my mid 30s, maybe, everything’s going to somehow gel and settle. Just end. It was like there was this plateau, waiting for me. And I, I was climbing up. When I got to the top, all growth and change would stop. Even exhilaration. But it hasn’t happened, thank goodness. I think that what we didn’t take into account, in our youth, is our curiosity. That’s what is so great about being human.
-You know what Benedict Anderson says about identity? He’s talking about, let’s say, a baby picture. So, you pick up this picture, this two dimensional image, and say “that’s me”. Well, to connect this baby, in this weird image, with yourself, living and breathing in the present, you have to make up a story. Like “this as me when I was a year old. Later I had long hair, and then we moved to Riverdale, and here I am”. So it takes a story that is actually a fiction, to make you and the baby in the picture identical. To create your identity.
-And the funny thing is our cells are completely regenerated every seven years. We’ve already became completely different people. And yet, we always remain quite essentially ourselves.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home